When: Sunday, May 19, 12 Noon to 5 p.m
Where: Allen County Public Library, Main Branch (downtown Fort Wayne)
Cost: Most events free for the public
There will be many featured artists and events at the Cherry Blossom Festival including:
- Fort Wayne Taiko, from the Fort Wayne Dance Collective
- Minyo Japanese Folk Dancers, from Indianapolis
- Yoko Reikano Kimura, Japanese Koto
- Hikaru Tamaki, Cello
- The Fort Wayne Guitar Quartet, lead player Dan Quinn
- Dorothy Kittaka, Soprano
- Janice Furtner, Soprano
- Irene Ator, Piano accompanist
- Suzuki Strings, conducted by Debra Graham
- Mrs. Shie Otani, Japanese Tea Ceremony
- Zentai Martial Arts, Decatur Mudokwan and Indianapolis Kendo Club
- Mike Schmid and Janice Furtner, Origami demonstration and hands-on origami activities
- Karaoke, the public
- Bethany Lee – Paper arts
- DCB Discount Comics - Manga comics
- Hida Shashiko – Japanese embroidery
- Japanese Saturday School – Accessories, crafts and Japanese souvenir items
- Paul Griswold –Japanese-themed T-shirts
- Rei Kihara – Japanese fabric dresses, cosplay costumes, art prints, “cherry blossom” accessories
- Ronia Marie Krieg – Shibori Silk Scarves
- Anime Art! Draw a famous anime character or your own original character for prizes
- Can You Haiku? Students will submit work prior to festival. Finalists from the schools will have their haiku displayed and will be invited to read their haiku at the festival.
- The public may also compose haiku at the festival for prizes.
- CosPlay Competition! Students may wear costumes depicting their favorite anime character for prizes.
- Toyko Seoul Restaurant, Sushi.
- West Coast Grill, Yakitori
- Woo’s Oriental Grocery & Mart, Japanese candies, drinks, ice cream, crackers etc.
- Bonsai by the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club
- Japanese Goldfish Catch
- Japanese-themed “Make and Take”, ACPL Children’s Services
- Origami Demonstration and Hands-on sessions, Mike Schmid, Art educator/artist and Janice Furtner, artist/musician
Michele Yamanaka - email: email@example.com phone:260-427-2196